What does a messy work desk say about you?
By: Desiree Peeples
Have you ever been criticized for having a messy desk? One of the things we usually take immediate ownership of at our jobs is our work space. Whether it’s a desk, a locker, or a cubicle, while we’re on the clock, that space is all ours. And when it comes to the work environment, a desk is usually what most people will look at first.
Colleagues and clients will look to see how how your desk is positioned, what kind of chair is behind it, and if there’s anything on it that reveals the kind of person who works there.
But what about the messy desk? What does it mean when people have a mess piled on their desk? Does it say anything about the type of worker they are? Or what kind of personality they have? If you’ve ever wondered about the unspoken meaning behind a messy desk, here are five insights that reveal what a messy desk says about you.
article continues after ad…
1. A messy desk is a sign of creativity. It’s been said that some of the most intelligent and most creative people are messy. But messy can mean different things to different people. The theory behind being messy is that it allows creativity to flourish, and as a result, a messy workspace makes room for creative thoughts and ideas to flow easily.
2. A messy desk means you value your time. Who really has the time to clean and organize their desk every day? Why not spend that same time working, making sales, writing reports, or eating a snack instead? Most people would rather use their time at work for more productive activities, even if that means occasionally scrolling through Facebook while at the job.
3. A messy desk means you are a multitasker. Most people who see your messy desk will assume that you’re busy and have many ongoing projects. They see your stacks of paper and piles of random stuff as part of your research, and they will assume that you have been actively using all that stuff every day.
article continues after ad…
4. A messy desk shows that you work best alone. Your desk is your domain. Only you will know exactly where to look when you need something. A messy desk makes full use of the space available, which also means that you’re very efficient, and really good at utilizing all accessible resources
5. Finally, a messy desk means you are a long-term thinker. If you have stuff everywhere, you obviously have no plans of leaving any time soon. Your messy desk shows your commitment to the job, and that you have a plan that will keep you in place for the long haul.
It’s no secret your desk is a reflection of who you are and what matters to you. Your desk can be a unique personal productivity tool that helps you accomplish your goals in your best and most satisfying way. So if you are part of the “messy desk club,” embrace it! As you can see, the hidden genius that is behind the messy desk is no longer something to be ashamed of.
Want to learn more about how you can make an executive level $100k+ career changes? Contact one of our executive career coaches at 561-513-6989 to set up an appointment. Or email us at email@example.com